Turing Church Online Workshop 1, in Teleplace, Saturday November 20, 9am-1pm PST (noon-4pm EST, 5pm-9pm UK, 6pm-10pm EU). The workshop will explore transhumanist spirituality and "Religion 2.0" and it will be a coordination-oriented summit of groups and organizations active in this area.
Online-only workshop in Teleplace. Those who already have Teleplace accounts for teleXLR8 can just show up at the workshop. There are a limited number of seats available for others, please contact me if you wish to attend.
- Lincoln Cannon (Mormon Transhumanist Association)
- Ben Goertzel (Cosmist Manifesto)
- Mike Perry (Society for Universal Immortalism)
- Giulio Prisco (Turing Church)
- Martine Rothblatt (Terasem)
- Talks by the panelists in the first 2 hours.
- Discussion between the panelists in the last 2 hours, with the participation of the audience.
- To discover parallels and similarities between different organizations and to agree on common interests, agendas, strategies, outreach plans etc.
- To discuss whether it makes sense to establish a umbrella organization, or to consider one of the existing organizations as such.
- To develop the idea of scientific resurrection: our descendants and mind children will develop “magic science and technology” in the sense of Clarke’s third law, and may be able to do grand spacetime engineering and even resurrect the dead by “copying them to the future“. Of course this a hope and not a certainty, but I am persuaded that this concept is scientifically founded and could become the “missing link” between transhumanists and religious and spiritual communities.
- And of course, how to make our our beautiful ideas available, understandable and appealing to billions of seekers.
My own presentation will be a revised and expanded version of my talk on The Cosmic Visions of the Turing Church at the Transhumanism and Spirituality Conference 2010. The main point can be summarized in one sentence (Slide 4): "A memetically strong religion needs to offer resurrection besides immortality."