Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oxford Press Book on Digital Age Spirituality Argues Second Life Provides Platform For Innovative Religious Thinking

New World Notes - Oxford Press Book on Digital Age Spirituality Argues Second Life Provides Platform For Innovative Religious Thinking:

The ultra-prestigious Oxford University just published a book devoted to theology in the digital age: Apocalyptic AI Visions of Heaven in Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, and Virtual Reality. It's written by Manhattan College professor Robert Geraci, known in Second Life as Soren Ferlinghetti (pictured), and unsurprisingly, a whole chapter is devoted to Second Life, and conversations with several well-known Extropians (sometimes called transhumanists), who often see Second Life as a means for transcending the human body. "Interviews with Sophrosyne Stenvaag and Giulio Perhaps appear in this book, along with other data from the published work of folks like Extropia Dasilva and comments made at public discussions of religion that I hosted myself when i was running a site called the virtual temple," he tells me.


I have ordered the book but I have not received yet, and I am really looking forward to reading it. I have had many very interesting talks with Robert, for example on his interpretation of Moravec's writings. I remember a very interesting Chat with R. Geraci on transhumanism, religion and cosmic engineers in VR, (picture above) on which the interview with me is probably based.